from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A pouring on of liquid, as in baptism.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The pouring of liquid.
- n. A method of Christian baptism where water is poured on the head of the person being baptized.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of pouring upon, or sprinkling with a liquid, as water upon a child in baptism.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of pouring upon; the act of pouring water or other liquid, as upon a child in baptism.
- n. In medicine, the act of pouring water on the body as a curative means, as from a vessel, by a shower-bath, etc.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the act of baptizing someone by pouring water on their head
Late Latin affūsiō, affūsiōn-, from Latin affūsus, past participle of affundere, to pour on : ad-, ad- + fundere, to pour; see gheu- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Latin affusio. (Wiktionary)