from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The part of day from noon until sunset.
- n. The latter part: in the afternoon of life.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The part of the day which follows noon, between noon and evening; the part of the day following noon which is daylight all year round; the second half of the working day (in regular office hours).
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The part of the day which follows noon, between noon and evening.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. That part of the day which extends from noon to evening.
- Pertaining to the after part ofthe day: as, afternoon shadows.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the part of the day between noon and evening
- n. a conventional expression of greeting or farewell
Sorry, no etymologies found.