from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- interj. Used to hail a ship or a person or to attract attention.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- interj. Used to hail a ship, a boat or a person, or to attract attention.
- v. To hail with a cry of "ahoy".
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- interj. A term used in hailing.”
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Nautical, an exclamation used to attract the attention of persons at a distance: as, ship ahoy!
From "a-hoy"; 'hoy' being a Middle English greeting dating back to the fourteenth century. (Wiktionary)