from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The fraction of incident electromagnetic radiation reflected by a surface, especially of a celestial body.
- n. The spongy white tissue on the inside of the rind of citrus fruit.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The fraction of incident light or radiation reflected by a surface or body, commonly expressed as percentage.
- n. The whitish inner portion of the rind of citrus fruits that is a source of pectin, commonly referred to as the pith.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Whiteness.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Whiteness; specifically, the proportion of light falling on a surface and irregularly reflected from it: as, the albedo of the moon.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the ratio of reflected to incident light
Late Latin albēdō, whiteness, from Latin albus, white; see albho- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin albēdō ("whiteness"). (Wiktionary)