from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A general accumulation of serous fluid in various tissues and body cavities.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Generalised oedema
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Dropsy of the subcutaneous cellular tissue; an effusion of serum into the cellular substance, occasioning a soft, pale, inelastic swelling of the skin.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In pathology, a wide-spread edema or dropsical affection of the skin and subcutaneous connective tissue.
- n. In botany, the condition of plants when the tissues become gorged with fluid in very wet weather.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. generalized edema with accumulation of serum in subcutaneous connective tissue
Middle English, from Medieval Latin : Greek ana, throughout; see ana- + Greek sarx, sark-, flesh.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)