from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- prep. Regarding; concerning: "This question remains a vital consideration anent the debate over the possibility of limiting nuclear war to military objectives” ( New York Times).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- prep. Concerning, with regard to, about, in respect to, as to, insofar as, inasmuch as
- prep. In the opinion or judgment of
- prep. Against, in front of, fronting; before; opposite; over against, on the other side
- prep. In a line with; side by side with; on a level with.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In a line with; side by side with; on a level with.
- In front of; fronting; before; opposite; over against.
- Against; toward.
- In respect of or regard to; as to; concerning; about: sometimes with as.
- On the other side; in an opposite place or situation.
Middle English, from Old English onefn, near : on, on; see on + efn, even.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Middle English anent ("insofar as, inasmuch as, in comparison with, with respect to, as regards, concerning, in the opinion or judgment of; next to, close to, up to, near, adjoining, across from, over against, facing"), anen, from Old English on emn, on efen ("level with, beside", literally "on even"); compare German neben. (Wiktionary)