from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A knitting pattern of varicolored, diamond-shaped areas on a solid background.
- n. A sock knit in this pattern.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a pattern of diamond-shaped areas on a solid background; used especially of knitwear
- n. a sock having this pattern
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a design consisting of a pattern of varicolored diamonds on a solid background (originally for knitted articles); patterned after the tartan of a clan in western Scotland
- n. a sock knitted or woven with an argyle design (usually used in the plural)
- n. a covered gravy holder of silver or other metal containing a detachable central vessel for hot water to keep the gravy warm
After Clan Campbell of Argyle, Argyll, a former county of western Scotland, originally from the pattern of their tartan.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)