from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A wall hanging; a tapestry.
- n. A curtain or wall hanging, especially one of Flemish origin.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A tapestry or wall hanging.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Tapestry; a rich figured fabric; especially, a screen or hangings of heavy cloth with interwoven figures.
- transitive v. To furnish with an arras.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Tapestry; specifically, that used for hangings covering the walls of a room.
- n. A kind of powder, probably made of the root of the orris.
- n. In Spanish law, a voluntary gift made by a husband to his wife upon marriage in consideration of the portion which he receives from her.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a wall hanging of heavy handwoven fabric with pictorial designs
Middle English, after Arras .(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French draps d'Arras, from the city of Arras, which was a major source for tapestries in the 15th century. (Wiktionary)