from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A deep gully cut by an intermittent stream; a dry gulch.
- n. A brook; a creek.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A dry creek or stream bed, a gulch which temporarily or seasonally fills and flows (after sufficient rain).
- n. Any water course; any rivulet (whether it flows year-round or only seasonally).
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A water course; a rivulet.
- n. The dry bed of a small stream.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A watercourse; a rivulet. Also arrollo.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a stream or brook
Spanish, from Vulgar Latin *arrugius, gold mine, underground passage, variant of Latin arrugia, a galleried mine.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Spanish arroyo. (Wiktionary)