from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A policy of national self-sufficiency and nonreliance on imports or economic aid.
- n. A self-sufficient region or country.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. National economic self-sufficiency.
- n. The state of personal self-sufficiency.
- n. An enclosed ecosystem.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. economic independence as a national policy.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. economic independence as a national policy
Greek autarkeia, self-sufficiency, from autarkēs, self-sufficient : auto-, auto- + arkein, to suffice.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Ancient Greek αὐτάρκεια (autarkia, "self sufficiency"). (Wiktionary)