from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The action of slandering a person without that person's knowledge.
- adj. A person who slanders or speaks badly of a person without that person's knowledge.
- v. Present participle of backbite.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Secret slander; detraction.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of slandering the absent; secret calumny.
From Middle English bacbiting, bacbitung, equivalent to backbite + -ing. (Wiktionary)
From backbite. (Wiktionary)