from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. an outdoor fire, such as pyre, bonfire, signal fire, asf.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A signal fire; an alarm fire.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A large fire in the open air; particularly, the fire of a funeral pile.
- n. A beacon- or signal-fire.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a large outdoor fire that is lighted as a signal or in celebration
From Old English bœlfyr ("balefire, funeral or sacrificial fire"), related to bœl and fyr (Wiktionary)