from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Forked or cleft into two parts: a bifid petal.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Cleft. Divided into two lobes.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Cleft to the middle or slightly beyond the middle; opening with a cleft; divided by a linear sinus, with straight margins.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Cleft or divided into two parts; forked, as the tongue of a snake; specifically, in botany, divided half-way down into two parts; opening with a cleft; divided by a linear sinus, with straight margins.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. divided into two lobes
From Latin bifidus ("cleft"), from bi- ("two") + -fidus, combining form of findo ("I cleave, split") (Wiktionary)