from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A weblog.
- intransitive v. To write entries in, add material to, or maintain a weblog.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A website that allows users to reflect, share opinions, and discuss various topics in the form of an online journal while readers may comment on posts. Most blogs are written in a slightly informal tone (personal journals, news, businesses, etc.) Entries typically appear in reverse chronological order.
- n. An entry in a blog.
- v. To contribute to a blog.
- v. To blag, to steal something; To acquire something illegally.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. read, write, or edit a shared on-line journal
- n. a shared on-line journal where people can post diary entries about their personal experiences and hobbies
(we)blog.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Shortened form of weblog. The Oxford English Dictionary says the shortened word was coined May 23, 1999 and references the "Jargon Watch" article in an issue of the online magazine "Tasty Bits from the Technology Front" which attributes the shortening to Peter Merholz who put the following on his web site: (Wiktionary)