from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A label bearing the owner's name or other identification that is pasted usually on the inside cover of a book. Also called ex libris.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A printed piece of paper pasted on one of the pages of a book, most often on the inside front cover, showing ownership and thus deterring theft.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A label, placed upon or in a book, showing its ownership or its position in a library.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A label, bearing a name, crest, monogram, or other design, pasted in or on a book to indicate its ownership, its position in a library, etc.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a label identifying the owner of a book in which it is pasted
book + plate (Wiktionary)