from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A wildcat (Felis caracal syn. Lynx caracal) of Africa and southern Asia having short fawn-colored fur and long tufted ears.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A type of mountain cat, of genus Caracal, native to Southern Africa, Turkestan and India, Caracal caracal or Felis caracal.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A lynx (Felis caracal syn. Lynx caracal). It is a native of Africa and Asia. Its ears are black externally, and tipped with long black hairs.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A carnivorous digitigrade quadruped of the Felidæ, or cat family, and genus Lynx, L. caracal, inhabiting portions of northern Africa and southwestern Asia.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. of deserts of northern Africa and southern Asia
French, from Ottoman Turkish qaraqūlāq : qara, black + qūlāq, ear.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Turkish karakulak. (Wiktionary)