from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various tailless South American rodents of the family Caviidae, which includes the guinea pig.
- n. Any of various similar or related rodents, such as the capybara, coypu, and agouti.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A guinea pig.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A rodent of the genera Cavia and Dolichotis, as the guinea pig (Cavia cobaya). Cavies are natives of South America.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A rodent of the genus Cavia or family Caviidæ.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. short-tailed rough-haired South American rodent
From New Latin Cavia, genus name, perhaps from Galibi cabiai.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From obsolete Portuguese çavia ("the spiny rat, Makalata armate, Echimys armata") (> modern sauiá), from Old Tupi saujá (Wiktionary)