from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A coarse, loosely woven cotton gauze, originally used for wrapping cheese.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A loosely woven cotton gauze, originally used to wrap cheese, but now used for various culinary tasks and by farmers to shade crops and keep birds off.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- A thin, loosely-woven cotton cloth of a gauze texture, such as is used in pressing cheese curds.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A coarse cotton fabric of an open texture, used in cheese-making for wrapping the cheese.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a coarse loosely woven cotton gauze; originally used to wrap cheeses
cheese + cloth (Wiktionary)