from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A tip; a gratuity.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A gratuity or tip as thanks for a service
- v. To give or make a present to.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A present or bonus; -- originally applied to that paid on ships which entered the port of Canton.
- transitive v. To give or make a present to.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A present of any kind; a gift or douceur; bakshish.
Pidgin English, from Chinese (Amoy) gamsia, an expression of thanks.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Min Nan (Hokkien) 感謝 (kám-siā, "thanks"). (Wiktionary)