from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A style in art reflecting Chinese influence through use of elaborate decoration and intricate patterns.
- n. An object reflecting Chinese artistic influence.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A style in art, or an artistic object, that reflects the influence of Chinese art
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Chinese conduct, art, decoration, or the like; also, a specimen of Chinese manners, art, decoration, etc.
- n. a style in art reflecting Chinese influence, being elaborately decorated and intricately patterned.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Chinese conduct, methods, or ways of doing things; a Chinese characteristic.
- n. A Chinese curio, knickknack, or product: as, “Japanese tea-trays, chinoiseries,” etc., Miss Braddon.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a style in art reflecting Chinese influence; elaborately decorated and intricately patterned
French, from chinois, Chinese, from Chine, China.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French chinoiserie ("Chinese-esque") (Wiktionary)