from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The 16th century, especially in Italian art and literature.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- The sixteenth century, when applied to Italian art or literature.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The sixteenth century, with reference to Italy, and especially with reference to the fine arts of that period.
- Executed or designed in the sixteenth century: applied specifically to the decorative art and architecture characteristic of the attempt at purification of style and reversion to classical forms which attained full development in Italy at the beginning of the sixteenth century; also often loosely applied to ornament of the sixteenth century in general, properly included in the term renaissance.
- Living in the sixteenth century.
Italian, from (mil) cinquecento, (one thousand) five hundred : cinque, five (from Latin quīnque; see penkwe in Indo-European roots) + cento, hundred (from Latin centum; see dekm̥ in Indo-European roots).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)