from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A fellow member of a fraternity or profession; a colleague.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a colleague or fellow, especially a professional one
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Fellow member of a fraternity; intimate associate.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A colleague; a fellow-member; an associate in something.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a person who is member of one's class or profession
Middle English, from Old French, from Medieval Latin cōnfrāter : Latin com-, com- + Latin frāter, brother; see bhrāter- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)