from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A cosmopolitan person: a true cosmopolite—a Renaissance man.
- n. Ecology An organism found in most parts of the world.
- n. See painted lady.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. One who is at home in every place; a citizen of the world; a cosmopolitan person.
- n. A painted lady (a butterfly of a certain species).
- adj. cosmopolitan
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- See cosmopolitan.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A citizen of the world; one who is cosmopolitan in his ideas or life.
- n. An animal or a plant existing in many or most parts of the world, or having a wide range of existence or migration.
- Universal; world-wide; cosmopolitan.
- n. A nymphalid butterfly, Vanessa cardui, common to Europe, Asia, North America, and Australia.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a sophisticated person who has travelled in many countries
Greek kosmopolītēs : kosmos, world + polītēs, citizen (from polis, city; see pelə-3 in Indo-European roots).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)