from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A woman who rules a family, clan, or tribe.
- n. A woman who dominates a group or an activity.
- n. A highly respected woman who is a mother.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A female leader of a family, a tribe or an ethnic or religious group.
- n. A female founder of a political or religious movement, an organization or an enterprise.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The mother and ruler of a family or of her descendants; a ruler by maternal right.
- n. A woman who dominates or is the most important member of a group or organization; in businesses, often the founder or owner of the largest interest.
- n. A venerated old woman.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The wife of a patriarch.
- n. A woman who holds (to some extent or in some respect) in a family or tribe a position analogous to that of a patriarch. See matriarchy.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a feisty older woman with a big bosom (as drawn in cartoons)
- n. a female head of a family or tribe
From Latin māter ("mother") + + -arch. (Wiktionary)