from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A worker in unmortared stone; a stonemason who has not served an apprenticeship.
- n. A person who attempts to pass himself off as a Freemason without having experienced the rituals or going through the degrees.
- n. A sneak; an inquisitive or prying person.
- n. uninitiated, outside, “profane”
- n. A fishing-boat.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who works as a mason without having served a regular apprenticeship.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One whose occupation is the building of dry stone walls: used especially of one who has not been regularly trained in the mason's trade.
- n. Hence One who is not a Free-Mason.
First attested in 1598. (Wiktionary)
First attested in 1722; perhaps from the Scottish Gaelic cobhan ("coffer”, “box”, “ark"). (Wiktionary)