from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The process or skill of communicating in or deciphering secret writings or ciphers.
- n. Secret writing.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The discipline concerned with communication security (eg, confidentiality of messages, integrity of messages, sender authentication, non-repudiation of messages, and many other related issues), regardless of the used medium such as pencil and paper or computers.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act or art of writing in code or secret characters; also, secret characters, codes or ciphers, or messages written in a secret code.
- n. The science which studies methods for encoding messages so that they can be read only by a person who knows the secret information required for decoding, called the key; it includes cryptanalysis, the science of decoding encrypted messages without possessing the proper key, and has several other branches; see for example steganography.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act or art of writing in secret characters.
- n. A system of secret or occult characters; that which is written in cipher.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. act of writing in code or cipher
- n. the science of analyzing and deciphering codes and ciphers and cryptograms
crypto- + -graphy (Wiktionary)