from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Biology Comblike.
- adj. Biology Having marginal projections that resemble the teeth of a comb: a ctenoid fish.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Having a toothed margin, usually fish scales
- adj. Comb-like in shape.
- n. A ctenoidean.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Having a comblike margin, as a ctenoid scale.
- adj. Pertaining to the Ctenoidei.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Comb-like; pectinate: specifically applied— to a form of scales in fishes in which the posterior margin is pectinated, or beset with small spinules (see cut under scale);
- to a form of dentition in fishes in which the teeth have comb-like ridges.
- Pertaining to the Ctenoidei; having ctenoid scales, as a fish.
- n. A fish with ctenoid scales; one of the Ctenoidei.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. resembling a comb; having projections like the teeth of a comb
Greek ktenoeidēs, comblike : kteis, kten-, comb + -oeidēs, -oid.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)