from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One who fills and distributes cups of wine, as in a royal household.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. One whose profession in general, or role in a particular event, is to carry a cup.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One whose office it is to fill and hand the cups at an entertainment.
- n. One of the attendants of a prince or noble, permanently charged with the performance of this office for his master.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An attendant at a feast who conveys wine or other liquors to the guests.
- n. Formerly, an officer of the household of a prince or noble, who tasted the wine before handing it to his master.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the attendant (usually an officer of a nobleman's household) whose duty is to fill and serve cups of wine
cup + bearer (Wiktionary)