from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of numerous often small freshwater fishes of the family Cyprinidae, which includes the minnows, carps, and shiners.
- adj. Of, relating to, or belonging to the family Cyprinidae.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of, pertaining to or characteristic of the Cyprinidae family of fish that includes carps and minnows.
- n. Any fish of this family.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A fish of the family Cyprinidæ.
- n. A mollusk of the family Cyprinidæ.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. soft-finned mainly freshwater fishes typically having toothless jaws and cycloid scales
- adj. of or relating to members of fish family Cyprinidae
From New Latin Cyprīnidae, family name, from Cyprīnus, type genus, from Latin cyprīnus, carp, from Greek kuprīnos.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)