from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. one of an ancient group of philosophers, who engaged in learned dialogue at meals
- n. a person skilled at informal, across-the-table small talk
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One of an ancient sect of philosophers, who cultivated learned conversation at meals.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who converses learnedly at dinner: in allusion to the title (see the etymology) of a celebrated work of Athenæus, in which a number of learned men are represented as at dinner discoursing on literature and matters of the table.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. someone skilled at informal chitchat
Greek [deipnosofisth's] [deipnon] a meal + [sofisth's] a wise man, sophist (Wiktionary)