from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A short-barreled pistol that has a large bore and is small enough to be carried in a pocket.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A type of very small, concealable pistol with one or two barrels, but without any loading system or magazine.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A kind of short-barreled pocket pistol, of very large caliber, often carrying a half-ounce ball.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A short-barreled pistol of large caliber, very efficient at short range.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a pocket pistol of large caliber with a short barrel
After Henry Deringer (1786-1868), American gunsmith.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Named after gunsmith Henry Deringer Junior. (Wiktionary)