from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To wish to have or see happen.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To miss, to feel the absence of, to long for.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To desire; to feel the want of; to lack; to miss; to want.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To feel a desire for or the want of; miss; desire.
- n. A desire; a desired thing; preference.
Latin dēsīderāre, dēsīderāt-, to desire; see desire.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin, from the participle stem of the verb dēsīderāre ("to desire"). (Wiktionary)