from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Informal Difference: "[His] flaw . . . starts with a fleshy calculation, an instinct to blunt disagreement and split the diff” ( Peggy Noonan).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Abbreviation of difference.
- n. Any program which compares two files or sets of files and outputs a description of the differences between them.
- n. The output of a diff program. A diff file.
- n. Abbreviation of differential: differential of types of white blood cell in a complete blood count.
- n. Abbreviation of difficult.
- n. A difficult route.
- v. To run a diff program on (files or items).
- v. To produce a description of changes made to a collection of files. To produce a patch file.
- v. To compare two files or other objects, manually or otherwise.
- proper n. A program, historically part of the Unix operating system, which compares two files or sets of files and outputs a description of the differences between them.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An abbreviation of difference, different, or differs.
Sorry, no etymologies found.