from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To pay out, as from a fund; expend. See Synonyms at spend.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To pay out, expend; usually from a public fund or treasury
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To pay out; to expend; -- usually from a public fund or treasury.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To pay out, as money; spend or lay out; expend.
- n. A payment or disbursement.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. expend, as from a fund
Obsolete French desbourser, from Old French desborser : des-, dis- + borse, purse (from Late Latin bursa; see bursa).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Old French desbourser (modern: débourser). Equivalent to dis- + burse ("purse"). (Wiktionary)