from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To shake or destroy the courage or resolution of; dispirit. See Synonyms at discourage.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To discourage someone by removing their enthusiasm or courage.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To discourage; to deprive of courage and hope; to depress the spirits of; to deject.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To discourage; depress the spirits of; deject; impress with fear.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. take away the enthusiasm of
dis- + hearten (Wiktionary)