from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To control or subdue by inspiring awe.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To awe exceedingly; to intimidate or subjugate or restrain by awe or great fear.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To restrain, subdue, or control by awe, fear, or superior influence.
- Synonyms To intimidate, cow, daunt.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. subdue, restrain, or overcome by affecting with a feeling of awe; frighten (as with threats)
From over- + awe. (Wiktionary)