from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A branch of a river that flows away from the main stream.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A branch of a river delta; a channel that distributes a river's waters into the sea, as with the Atchafalaya River of the Mississippi.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Tending to distribute or be distributed; that distributes; distributive.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Distributing; distributive; designed for distribution.
- n. In physical geography, an outflowing branch of a river, such as occurs characteristically on a delta.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a branch of a river that flows away from the main stream and does not rejoin it
dis- + tribute + -ary (Wiktionary)