from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Making additions or yielding supplies; contributory.
- adj. Paid in tribute.
- adj. Paying tribute: a tributary colony.
- n. A stream that flows into a larger stream or other body of water.
- n. A ruler or nation that pays tribute.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A river that flows into a larger river or other body of water.
- n. A nation, state, or other entity that pays tribute.
- adj. Related to the paying of tribute.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Paying tribute to another, either from compulsion, as an acknowledgment of submission, or to secure protection, or for the purpose of purchasing peace.
- adj. Hence, subject; subordinate; inferior.
- adj. Paid in tribute.
- adj. Yielding supplies of any kind; serving to form or make up, a greater object of the same kind, as a part, branch, etc.; contributing.
- n. A ruler or state that pays tribute, or a stated sum, to a conquering power, for the purpose of securing peace and protection, or as an acknowledgment of submission, or for the purchase of security.
- n. A stream or river flowing into a larger river or into a lake; an affluent.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Paying tribute; taxed or assessed by tribute.
- Of the nature of tribute; paid or due as tribute.
- Bringing accretions, supplies, aid, or the like; contributory; auxiliary; subsidiary; specifically, of streams, affluent.
- n. A person or a state that pays tribute; one who or that which pays a stated sum to a conquering power, in acknowledgment of submission, or for the purchase of peace, security, and protection.
- n. In geography, an affluent; a river or other body of water which contributes its stream to another river, etc.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. paying tribute
- n. a branch that flows into the main stream
- adj. (of a stream) flowing into a larger stream
- adj. tending to bring about; being partly responsible for
Middle English tributarie, paying tribute, from Latin tribūtārius, from tribūtum, tribute; see tribute.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Middle English tributarie ("paying tribute"), from Latin tributarius, from tributum ("tribute"). (Wiktionary)