from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Music The material stretched over one end or either of both ends of a drum.
- n. Nautical The circular top part of a capstan, used to hold bars for turning.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Alternative spelling of drum head.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The parchment or skin stretched over one end of a drum.
- n. The top of a capstan which is pierced with sockets for levers used in turning it. See Illust. of Capstan.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The membrane stretched upon a drum, by striking which the tone is produced.
- n. The top part of a capstan, which is pierced with a number of holes to receive the ends of the levers or bars employed to turn it round. See capstan.
- n. In anatomy, the membrana tympani.
- n. A variety of cabbage having a large rounded or flattened head.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. performed speedily and without formality
- n. a membrane that is stretched taut over a drum
drum + -head (Wiktionary)