from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A tattoo, as of a drum, the hooves of a galloping horse, or machine-gun fire.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A continuous, even drumming or rapping, as of the hooves of a galloping horse, or machine-gun fire.
- v. To drum repeatedly.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The iterative sound of beating a drum, or of a galloping horse.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The sound or music of the military drum; a tattoo or “rub-a-dub.”
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the sound made by beating a drum
French, of imitative origin.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French ran tan plan, onomatopoeic. (Wiktionary)