from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The thin, brittle, exterior covering of the egg of a bird or reptile.
- n. A pale yellow to yellowish white.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The shell around an egg.
- n. A pale off-white colour, like that of the eggshell.
- adj. Of a pale yellowish-whitish colour, like that of the eggshell.
- adj. Exhibiting the thinness, translucency or near-transparency, and fragility of an eggshell; as in eggshell porcelain.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The shell or exterior covering of an egg. Also used figuratively for anything resembling an eggshell.
- n. A smooth, white, marine, gastropod shell of the genus Ovulum, resembling an egg in form.
- adj. of a pale, yellowish-white color.
- adj. having a smooth but not glossy texture like that of a hen's egg. Also referred to as matte glaze or non-lustrous glaze.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The shell or outside covering of an egg: chiefly said of the hard, brittle, calcareous covering of birds' eggs.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the exterior covering of a bird's egg
egg + shell (Wiktionary)