from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Intended for general or wide circulation.
- n. Roman Catholic Church A papal letter addressed to the bishops of the Church or to the hierarchy of a particular country.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A papal letter delivered to Bishops in the Roman Catholic Church.
- adj. Intended for general circulation.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. intended for wide distribution
- n. a letter from the pope sent to all Roman Catholic bishops throughout the world
From Medieval Lattin encyclicus, circular, from Greek enkuklios : en-, in; see en-2 + kuklos, circle; see kwel-1 in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Late Latin encyclicus, from Ancient Greek εγκυκλιος (enkyklios, "circular, general"), from εν− (en-) + κύκλος (kyklos, "circle"). (Wiktionary)