from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act of stating or declaring.
- n. Something stated; a declaration.
- n. Law A formal pleading.
- n. An abstract of a commercial or financial account showing an amount due; a bill.
- n. A monthly report sent to a debtor or bank depositor.
- n. Computer Science An elementary instruction in a programming language.
- n. An overall impression or mood intended to be communicated, especially by means other than words: Glass, exposed beams, and antiques were combined to create a strong decorative statement.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A declaration or remark.
- n. A presentation of opinion or position.
- n. A document that summarizes financial activity.
- n. An instruction in a computer program.
- v. To provide an official document of a proposition, especially in the UK a Statement of Special Educational Needs.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of stating, reciting, or presenting, orally or on paper.
- n. That which is stated; a formal embodiment in language of facts or opinions; a narrative; a recital.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of stating, reciting, or presenting verbally or on paper.
- n. That which is stated; a formal embodiment in language of facts or opinions; a narrative; a recital; the expression of a fact or of an opinion; account; report: as, a verbal statement; a written statement; a bank statement; a doctrinal statement.
- n. In law, a formal narration of facts or an averment in judicial proceedings, as the allegations of a complaint or answer in a cause.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the act of affirming or asserting or stating something
- n. a fact or assertion offered as evidence that something is true
- n. (music) the presentation of a musical theme
- n. a document showing credits and debits
- n. (computer science) a line of code written as part of a computer program
- n. a nonverbal message
- n. a message that is stated or declared; a communication (oral or written) setting forth particulars or facts etc
state (verb) + -ment (Wiktionary)
Back-formation from statementing. and statemented (Wiktionary)