from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A sudden, short utterance; an ejaculation.
- n. The part of speech that usually expresses emotion and is capable of standing alone.
- n. Any of the words belonging to this part of speech, such as Ugh! or Wow!
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An exclamation or filled pause; a word or phrase with no particular grammatical relation to a sentence, often an expression of emotion.
- n. An interruption; something interjected
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of interjecting or throwing between; also, that which is interjected.
- n. A word or form of speech thrown in to express emotion or feeling, as O! Alas! Ha ha! Begone! etc. Compare Exclamation.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of throwing between; an interjecting.
- n. The act of ejaculating, exclaiming, or forcibly uttering.
- n. In grammar, an interjected or exclamatory word; a word thrown in between other words or expressions, but having no grammatical relation to them, or used independently, to indicate some access of emotion or passion, and commonly emphasized to the eye in writing by a mark of exclamation, as oh! ah! alas! hurrah!
- n. A manner or means of expressing emotion with the effect of an interjection.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an abrupt emphatic exclamation expressing emotion
- n. the action of interjecting or interposing an action or remark that interrupts
From Old French interjection (13c.), from Latin interiectiōnem, accusative singular of interiectiō ("throwing or placing between; interjection"), perfect passive participle of intericiō ("throw or place between"), from inter ("between") + iaciō ("throw"). (Wiktionary)