from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act of protecting.
- n. The condition of being protected.
- n. One that protects.
- n. A pass guaranteeing safe-conduct to travelers.
- n. A system of tariffs or other measures protecting domestic producers from foreign competition.
- n. A contraceptive or barrier that lowers the risk of pregnancy or infection, especially a condom.
- n. Slang Money extorted by racketeers threatening violence for nonpayment.
- n. Slang Bribes paid to officials by racketeers for immunity from prosecution.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The process of keeping (something or someone) safe.
- n. The state of being safe.
- n. A contraceptive device.
- n. Coverage.
- n. Immunity from harm obtained by illegal payments, as bribery or extortion.
- n. Restrictions on foreign competitors that limit their ability to compete with domestic producers of goods or services.
- n. An instance of a security token associated with a resource (such as a file.)
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of protecting, or the state of being protected; preservation from loss, injury, or annoyance; defense; shelter.
- n. That which protects or preserves from injury; a defense; a shield; a refuge.
- n. A writing that protects or secures from molestation or arrest; a pass; a safe-conduct; a passport.
- n. A theory, or a policy, of protecting the producers in a country from foreign competition in the home market by the imposition of such discriminating duties on goods of foreign production as will restrict or prevent their importation; -- opposed to
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of protecting, or the state of being protected; defense; shelter or preservation from loss, injury, or any form of harm or evil: as, the protection of good laws; divine protection.
- n. That which protects or shields from harm; something that preserves from injury: as, camphor serves as a protection against moths.
- n. A writing that guarantees protection; a passport, safe-conduct, or other writing which secures the bearer from molestation; especially, a certificate of nationality issued by the customs authorities of the United States to seamen who are American citizens.
- n. In political economics, the theory, doctrine, or system of fostering or developing the industries of a country by means of imposts on products of the industries imported into that country; the discouragement of foreign competition with the industries of a country by imposing import duties, granting monopolies of commerce, etc.
- n. A writ issued to a person required to attend court as witness, juror, etc., to secure him from arrest for a certain time. Synonyms Guard, refuge, security.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the activity of protecting someone or something
- n. the imposition of duties or quotas on imports in order to protect domestic industry against foreign competition
- n. the condition of being protected
- n. kindly endorsement and guidance
- n. a covering that is intend to protect from damage or injury
- n. defense against financial failure; financial independence
- n. payment extorted by gangsters on threat of violence
Middle English, from Old French, from stem of Latin protectio ("a covering over"), from protectus, past participle of protegere ("to protect, to cover in front") (Wiktionary)