from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act or process of publishing printed matter.
- n. An issue of printed material offered for sale or distribution.
- n. Communication of information to the public.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The act of publishing printed or other matter
- n. An issue of printed or other matter, offered for sale or distribution
- n. The communication of information to the general public etc.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of publishing or making known; notification to the people at large, either by words, writing, or printing; proclamation; divulgation; promulgation
- n. The act of offering a book, pamphlet, engraving, etc., to the public by sale or by gratuitous distribution.
- n. That which is published or made known; especially, any book, pamphlet, etc., offered for sale or to public notice.
- n. An act done in public.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of publishing, or bringing to public notice; notification to people at large, by speech, writing, or printing; proclamation; promulgation; announcement: as, the publication of statutes; publication of banns.
- n. The act of offering a book, map, print, piece of music, or the like, to the public by sale or by gratuitous distribution.
- n. A work printed and published; any book, pamphlet, or periodical offered for sale to the public: as, a monthly publication; an illustrated publication.
- n. 4. Appearance in public; public appearance.
- n. In systematic biol., the distribution, in print, of the name of a species, genus, or other biological group, in accordance with certain technical requirements.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a copy of a printed work offered for distribution
- n. the communication of something to the public; making information generally known
- n. the business of issuing printed matter for sale or distribution
- n. the act of issuing printed materials
Middle English publicacioun, act of making public, from Old French publicacion, from Latin pūblicātiō, pūblicātiōn-, from pūblicātus, past participle of pūblicāre, to make public, from pūblicus, public; see public.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Old French publicacion, from Latin publicatio, (Wiktionary)