from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act of evoking.
- n. Creation anew through the power of the memory or imagination.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The act of calling out or forth, or evoking.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of calling out or forth.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A calling or bringing from concealment; a calling forth: as, among the ancient Romans, the evocation of the gods of a besieged city to join the besiegers.
- n. In civil law, the removal of a suit from an inferior to a superior tribunal.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. calling up supposed supernatural forces by spells and incantations
- n. stimulation that calls up (draws forth) a particular class of behaviors
- n. imaginative re-creation
Sorry, no etymologies found.