from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act of pondering; meditation.
- n. The act or process of chewing cud.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The act of ruminating; i.e. chewing cud and other ruminants.
- n. Deep thought or consideration.
- n. Negative cyclic thinking; persistent and recurrent worrying or brooding.
- n. An eating disorder characterized by repetitive regurgitation of small amounts of food from the stomach.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act or process of ruminating, or chewing the cud; the habit of chewing the cud.
- n. The state of being disposed to ruminate or ponder; deliberate meditation or reflection.
- n. The regurgitation of food from the stomach after it has been swallowed, -- occasionally observed as a morbid phenomenon in man.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act or process of ruminating, or chewing the cud.
- n. The act of ruminating or meditating; a musing or continued thinking on a subject; meditation or reflection.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (of ruminants) chewing (the cud)
- n. a calm, lengthy, intent consideration
- n. regurgitation of small amounts of food; seen in some infants after feeding
From Latin rūminātio "chewing the cud"; see ruminate. (Wiktionary)