from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act of binding or of applying a ligature.
- n. The state of being bound.
- n. Something that binds; a ligature.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Something that ties, a ligature.
- n. The act of tying, of applying a ligature.
- n. The state of having a ligature, of being tied.
- n. The act of tying off or sealing a blood vessel or fallopian tube during surgery.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of binding, or the state of being bound.
- n. That which binds; bond; connection.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A tying or binding, or the state of being tied or bound; constriction by a ligature or bond; especially, in surgery, the operation of tying an artery to prevent hemorrhage, as after amputation, etc.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (surgery) tying a duct or blood vessel with a ligature (as to prevent bleeding during surgery)
Sorry, no etymologies found.