from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A body that is granted a charter recognizing it as a separate legal entity having its own rights, privileges, and liabilities distinct from those of its members.
- n. Such a body created for purposes of government. Also called body corporate.
- n. A group of people combined into or acting as one body.
- n. Informal A protruding abdominal region; a potbelly.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A group of individuals, created by law or under authority of law, having a continuous existence independent of the existences of its members, and powers and liabilities distinct from those of its members.
- n. In Fascist Italy, a joint association of employers' and workers' representatives.
- n. A protruding belly; a paunch.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A body politic or corporate, formed and authorized by law to act as a single person, and endowed by law with the capacity of succession; a society having the capacity of transacting business as an individual.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An artificial person, created by law, or under authority of law, from a group or succession of natural persons, and having a continuous existence irrespective of that of its members, and powers and liabilities different from those of its members.
- n. The body, generally large, of a man or an animal.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a business firm whose articles of incorporation have been approved in some state
- n. slang for a paunch
From Late Latin corporatio ("assumption of a body"), from Latin coporare, past participle corporatus ("to form into a body"); see corporate. (Wiktionary)